“Don’t spend all day on the net.”

Said he, as he finally got off to work this morning. I can’t imagine where he gets the idea that I might do that. (Never mind the fact that we just had two sloth days at home while he was still on leave, and I.. err.. might have spent a bit of time somewhere in this vicinity. Uploading holiday photos and all that, you know…)

But it’s been one crazy start to the day; and I need to sit and chill for a bit. And tell someone about our morning.

I was expecting to get a phone call at some point about what time our new dining room suite would be delivered, but I wasn’t expecting to be woken up with the phone call – sometime around 7.30 I guess it was.  (M. was already up, but in the shower) What? The delivery guys were about to leave town?  That gave us less than 30 minutes to be sorted. I had a quick shower, but before we’d discussed tactics, I looked out the window to see the van pull up.

We hadn’t moved out the old table (hadn’t even cleared off the tablecloth), and we had cars in the driveway that needed to be moved. On top of that, we’d been quoted $90 to have it delivered, but when the guys loaded up this morning they said it would be $110. Because there were 8 chairs, not 6. Not too happy about that one.

When I went out to move the cars, there was the stack of local papers in the way on the footpath. The papers that should have been delivered by 7.30am! (It’s the kids’ paper run – but they have someone else do it every second Wednesday. Said person filled in for their runs while we were away, and has obviously assumed she wasn’t doing it, even though it would normally be her week. But I had asked eldest daughter yesterday afternoon to check that this girl was right to do her normal slot this morning. Darling daughter fiddled around with her phone and said yes. When the delivery hadn’t happened this morning I find out that she hadn‘t actually sent and received a text – she had referred to a message asking the same question from two weeks ago! Teenagers! Don’t start me on a ‘taking responsibility’ and ‘sheer bloody laziness’ rant!).

Said daughter also couldn’t/wouldn’t do the run herself – one, because she had a journo friend of ours coming round at 9.30 to take photos of her shoe painting exploits (but also because she has had a friend from out of town staying the night, so she doesn’t want to go off and do a paper run.) So who has to ring the circulation desk and tell them we’ve had a mix up but it will get delivered sometime today? Manic Mum here, that’s who.

Back to the new table. When it is brought in (the delivery guys abusing one another for not carrying correctly) we find a slight imperfection in the lacquer, and the timber seats aren’t as sculptured as we thought they were from the one we sat on in the shop. So, phone calls to the furniture-makers ensue, and they arrange to come out later this morning to have a look.

Meanwhile Himself hops in his car to leave for work – the car which I started earlier and moved a couple of metres. Arrgh. Dead battery. So we stuff around towing it a few metres and jump starting it, just as the journo friend and photographer arrive. Things are just starting to feel a bit chaotic.

The furniture guys have since been out, and have agreed that there has been some damage, in transit, causing this tiny bubble in the lacquer – and so will come at some point over the next few days to remove the table top, take it away, fix it, and bring it back a day later. And the chairs? They’ll try and get the seats sculpted some more, but there will have to be some sort of compromise, as the woman (previous owner) who took our order originally should have told us that the one we sat on was pine, not hardwood, and it is impossible to achieve the same result with hardwood. They will hopefully take away only two at a time so we are not left short, but we’ll be without the tabletop for a day, and then when it comes back we will have to avoid using it to allow the lacquer to set properly.

It’s going to be an interesting week, no?

Ms 10 meanwhile decided that she will do the paper run, bless her (Ms. 14 is battling a sore throat and isn’t in the mood) and seems to be managing ok. Although a short time ago I got a cry for assistance, and went outside to find the neighbour across the road trying to put the tyre back on the rim for her. She has popped back in a couple of times, and her face is covered in black newspaper ink, but she is resisting attempts for me to take a photo.

I’ve rung the charity place that has collected pre-loved furniture in the past, about whether or not they might want our old suite, but they don’t usually come this far out of town. They really need to look at the old suite first to decide whether it is worthwhile. I said I also had an old cot, but apparently there are rules and regulations and certifications needed for second hand cots these days. I’m considering sticking everything on the footpath with a big FREE sign, and hope that someone takes them.

But, do I get rid of the table yet? We might not have anything to eat off for a few days!

So, after that start to the day, does anyone begrudge me some downtime on the net this morning?   Coffee, anyone?


The new table does look bootiful tho’. Blackbutt. (With the complimentary gift that arrived with it – I had to ask the guys what it was! – A  candle holder.  For tea candles or something.  Not really in the running for any House & Garden awards, am I?)



Filed under it's just another manic mum day, what the???

3 responses to ““Don’t spend all day on the net.”

  1. Very elegant, even with the apple in the middle. oh, candleholder? Ok. What a day you had, you need to spend some time slouching on the computer after all that.

  2. Nice set!

    I’m amazed you could put together a coherent thought let alone a blog after a morning like that.

    I’d be a sniffling mess curled up in a ball reaching for a stiff drink.

  3. Did a quick check and satisfied myself that yes…you did go with a native wood.

    Interesting looking tree the blackbutt.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s